Training for the Cross - Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What is Faith?


Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen
(Hebrews 11:1).

Photo by Heiko Rodde
























If I tell a child, "Just have faith, and have faith that I'll take you to get ice cream when I'm done working," or something of that nature, and then I don't - after a while the child loses faith, they won't believe me. I can tell them and promise, but unless I do something as a father to persuade them to have faith in me again - why would they believe? Just because I told them to?

In my mind, isn't that the same with our Heavenly Father and us? If He doesn't woo us, or persuade us with a divine experience either inside of us or a supernatural one around us, how then can we have faith? Faith to me, without His persuasion, is just something I have to work at, and by itself gets tiring and my human nature will decide I'm not getting anywhere. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1). Where do I get the substance of things hoped for if He doesn't show me some signs, wonders, and miracles? Don't tell me those things are irrelevant, because they are what give us hope. To see the supernatural happen!! Is that all of God? No. But they are of God!

Where do I get the evidence of those things not seen without experiencing something I've never felt before inside my being, a change, a hunger, a breaking? His grace covers everything we do, but don't tell me that He doesn't allow trials and tribulations to happen in our lives, and not expect a change. What the heck are the trials and tribulations for, if we are not supposed to draw closer to Him and allow Him to persuade us, allow Him to show us who He is?

If you think that the trials and tribulations are not His doing, that they are a result of our sin, then why did Satan have to get permission to assault Job? And how big is God? Is He actually in control of everything? Have you decided to put a limitation on His power? Are you now going to say that you can drag yourself out of your sin, without His help? His grace is always there, but we have to want it! We have to cry out for it. His grace is sufficient for me. That's why I keep going back to it, because He's there with it!

Ty Van Norman

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home