Training for the Cross - Blog

Friday, April 17, 2009

Finding My Line......

Photo by Sean Sperry/Bozeman Chronicle

On the occasion of passing my comprehensive exam and thesis defense for my MS degree in Equine Science, I thought I would reflect on my thinking at the time I applied for the MS program, and on what's to come in the future. Here's the essay I wrote to accompany my application to graduate school.

Historically, higher education is not something that my family has strived to achieve. I am a sixth generation rancher from southwest Idaho, and I come from a long line of distinguished horsemen. I have been raised on ranches and horses have not only been a valuable tool for my family but part of our livelihood. My great-grandfather ran more than 1,000 head of brood mares and the Black family has always taken pride in raising quality horses. My maternal grandfather took pride in riding quality horses as well and has had a substantial impact on the equine industry. It has always been a desire of mine to follow in my family's footsteps. Not only is the equine field something that I am familiar and comfortable with, it is part of the fiber that makes me the person I am.
Times have certainly changed from my grandfathers' and father's eras when it comes to the need for higher education. The equine field has shifted from agricultural to recreational. The opportunities for an individual with higher education in the equine field far exceed those that were available to past generations. Both my maternal grandfather and my father have traveled around the world educating people about their horses. Education is something that has always been a passion of mine. It has only been recently, however, that I have discovered I can take this passion and teach something that I have always loved.

I came to Montana State University on a rodeo scholarship and enrolled in the Equine Science program. I admit my initial incentive was primarily based on rodeo opportunities rather than academic goals. However, it did not take long in the Equine Science program to discover that I had made the correct decision, regardless of my original motivation. The Equine Science program offered me something far more valuable than athletic competition in rodeo ever could. The education I received from the program far exceeded my expectations and it was through the program that I discovered the possibility of teaching as a career.

Teaching is something that I have always loved to do and have been told I have a natural tendency for. Whether it was helping someone with homework, demonstrating a wrestling move, or showing someone a rope trick, I have always enjoyed the role of a teacher. However, before coming to MSU I didn't think teaching would ever become my career. After coming to MSU and taking classes in Equine Science, I realized I have discovered an area that I enjoyed learning about enough to make it a lifetime career in some capacity. I am also enjoying the opportunities I have been granted to teach a few classes at the univeristy level. Through teaching these classes I have discovered the equation for my future career: My passion for education and my innate love of the equine field create a career path I can follow for a lifetime.

So, now that I've passed this milestone on my path, where do I go now? I am going to tell you a little secret that the Lord showed me about how easy it is to find God's will for our life. I hope you are ready for this; it is the easiest concept and yet the most difficult task I have found in my life so far. Here is the secret to finding God's will for our life: Quit looking to where you think God wants you in the future and start looking to where God wants you today. "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (KJV). Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own (NIV, Matthew 6:33-34).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home